Wednesday 17 February 2010

Stop the world I want to get off!

It's already half way through February! This year is moving at such a fast pace. I have so many things that need doing right now that I have not got round to doing yet.

There have been some ups and some downs. A major down in recent weeks has been that our little home has been without heating for about 3 weeks. This has thankfully now been corrected and the place can now be quite tropical but it was rather amusing to return from the Lakes to find ice on the inside of our windows. In all fairness the broken boiler was 30 years old (older than me!!!) and so it was coming but so long as it still works it is one of those things that keeps getting put off. Unfortunatley it decided to break in what I swear is one of the coldest of the last 30 years but hey that is like our family tradition - if it is going to go wrong then it is going to go wrong goodstyle, no messing around with little problems. I didn't realise how draining being cold was though - it's exhausting and certainly left me with a (even-shorter) temper!

Unfortunatley that is not the only thing that has broken in recent days, my poor computer seems likely to be heading to that great scrapyard in the sky. I honestly feel like I have lost my right arm! I did not realise how much I used the thing and as my evaluation is fast approaching at work (just what a Saturday nightshift needs!) I really am missing it. Thankfully my dad is letting me use his at the moment for the essential things (unfortunatley it will not link to my printer) and I still have my iPhone for the other essentials (Facebook!!!). The most worrying thing for me at the moment is waiting to find out if things can be retrieved off the broken computer. Unfortunatley all of my pictures and doccuments were on that computer and the most recent ones were not backed up. The problem is that I have stopped backing up my computer monthly as my iTunes was getting so large that it was too big to be backed-up onto a CD. I have now learned my lesson well and if my files can be backed up I will be investing in some larger USB memory sticks for the important stuff and regularly updating my iPod.

The most important thing that I want to retrieve from that little lot right now are the pictures as the majority of them are from happy times with my best friend. I have the older ones from holidays to places like Budapest but the ones from our last holiday to Paris and our last Christmas are still there so fingers crossed. Speaking of my friend, I got a package this morning. It was the last package that I had sent her before she died. I have to say that I no longer have any faith in the postal service as the package that I sent contained a bar of chocolate that is now in powder formation and several (now shattered) shatter-proof CD cases. There were a couple of letters in there too (that I had written to her) and I have to admit that I have not been able to open them yet - for the time being the entire package is sat in a drawer until I am ready to return to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment